Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sony Headphones


First a few words on hearing protection in general. I am
a frequent traveler, flying at about 50% of the time at international level. I'm not a musician by any means, but I understand that having a good pair of "boxes" is sometimes the difference between arriving at your destination completely relaxed or wasted. You owe it to yourself to have a good pair of quality noise reduction if you travel abroad or from coast to coast at least three times a year. I have owned my share of noise canceling headphones, from Sony "in ear" MDR-NC11A and graduated from Sennheiser "the ear" RPXC 250. Finally, I took Bose "the ear" my flight QuietComfort 3 conferences in California and return to Ohio. If you choose the general design of headphones to choose from - let me say in advance that "over-the-ear" design offers the best comfort you can have on the long flight - hands down.
Now the details of this particular set. After experiencing the "over-the-ear" design Bose, I decided to get a pair. But being burned by my previous experiences, I decided to do some comparison shopping carefully. After several weeks of research, I went to the actual store to compare three models I have chosen: Bose QuietComfort 3 ($ 299) and Sennheiser PXC 350 ($ 359) and the Sony MDR NC50 ($ 199). The MDR NC60 model was not even on my list then, and Sennheiser PXC 450 ($ 449) is as good as they are (aside 90% of noise) was just too expensive for me.
Bose QuietComfort 3 I tested first. Being so highly advertised, I expected it to be the best performance, but was extremely underwhelmed. It performed much better when one of my previous headphones, but it was no match for Sennheiser, and it was worse then Sony, which, I recall that you happen to be $ 100 cheaper. On top of him, I could not find the actual acoustic characteristics for the pair of Bose anywhere in the manual. (I have since done research on the web and I still can not find them ... incredible!). Then I switched to the Sennheiser PXC 350, and was not disappointed. I almost left the store with that pair in the bag of shopping. Cancellation up to 85% noise, it was an excellent pair. When you turn on the CN - it fills as you suddenly become deaf. The bass is very punchy and powerful, even if the noise cancellation is disabled. Third on my list were Sony MDR NC50 and they were surprisingly good too. Not very good with the bass when NC is out of Sennheiser, and they felt a bit awkward on my head, but the sound quality was better than Bose. I was almost ready to go, when a store employee showed me a pair of NC60 and there I was sold - right then and there.
They are as good as they come, canceling noise up to 85%, with excellent sound quality, and with a good bass output when NC is off. I would say if Sennheiser PXC 350 is better - I could not find out. After studying this model on the WEB for another week, I bought it at Amazon for $ 149.00. I already had my first experience flying with him and let me tell you - I'm not disappointed. Here are the pros and cons of where I sit ...
Advantages: - It's the most comfortable pair of cans I've ever tried. The overall fit is very comfortable - I was able to fall asleep on a flight of three hours. There is absolutely no "suction" effect as I lived with another phone, I tried. - Both the cup and the bridge are wrapped in fine leather. I read some reviews that some people do not like the leather helmet on because it can cause sweating - I personally never experienced that, not with this pair or with any other headset I possessed. So even if I can not say anything negative about this, I might not be the best judge in this case - some people may be more sensitive than others. Regarding the quality of leather and feel - they are as good as they come. - The unique feature of this model is a "screen" button that lets you hear surrounding sounds without turning off the NC or take the cans off. The comment of comfort I have on this model is that this button is hard to find for someone who is just beginning to adapt to this set. As I get used to this pair, however, I get a lot better than it - minor problem with a design in my mind. - This pair operates on a regular AAA battery, illuminating the need for a battery charger and having to worry about how to load it in Europe. This is a big plus in my books. 1 AAA battery gives you 30 hours without a break in NC, if you think it is not enough - just take a couple of spare AAA with you - it is always better than a charger, and of course will be sufficient for travel to any destination. - Building the set is very robust, yet easy to adapt to any position is desirable. Folds easily into a carrying case, and as far as "over the ear" designed to go - do not take much space when folded. Again, if portability is your main concern - you might want to check " on the ear "design. - Sound quality (again) is one of the best I've tried when it comes to NC headphones for passengers. Bass output is very good with NC and just slightly worse with her being out (we wait on all helmets NC). I'm listening to all kinds of music and the NC work very well for everything from the Cleveland Orchestra to Jimi Hendrix. That said, if you do not plan to use the NC helmet and just need something to listen on your stereo at home - you'll definitely be able to find a better set for less money. Even better - take this simple test: If your speakers for home theater system are made by Boss, Panasonic or Sony - this pair will be good for use at home, at work or on the plane. If, on the other hand, you have Boston Acoustics hooked to your stereo - you can keep MDRNC60 for travel and for home use pick a more purpose, no function NC. - Function noise cancellation works great - certainly better than the Bose QC3 (and I'm not kidding). In my opinion NC is the best you can get for under $ 300 - that simple.
AGAINST: - There is only one negative comment I have about this product. Bag this model comes with a sweet nature that is a big drawback in my mind. I like the hard case that comes with Bose QC3: having a more difficult case, you can attach it to your laptop bag, for example, and not worry about breaking your helmet into pieces as you walk in Island on the map. This case, I would not keep hanging on the outside of your luggage, you can end up damaging your helmet. Also, as a suggestion to come to a Sony engineer who might read this solitary exam in his spare time - it would be nice if the compartment inside the case had enough room to fit the iPod Video (just a suggestion )
NOTES: - The adapter airplane is "foldable" - that's when you can fold one of the two taken mini "in". Is it really necessary to preserve 2 mm of space when you already have a carrying case? A fixed would be fine, but another point of possible rupture is being introduced. I do not know how this will be adopting operational in 3 years if it is constantly "folded - unfolded", and I'm not going to test it, though, I'll just keep "unfolding" of all time. 

- The cable that comes with this headset connects Cup with the real mini-stereo jack. There are a plus and a minus in this role for me. I understand the desire to make an interchangeable cord, and I guess some people might want to unplug the cable so they can sleep on the plane, but it could turn against if the connection becomes loose over time. I read a lot of criticism and not see people complain about it, but who knows if this becomes a weak point for me - I write a review after 3 years of use, or just go buy another pair ?

No comments:

Post a Comment